Sunday, June 19, 2011

Low-fat AMAZING Turkey Chili

I am so thrilled with how this came out that I just have to share the recipe. I don't eat a lot of meat (used to be a pescatarian - that's a fish eating vegetarian) so I'm not really into it. However, I do eat chicken and turkey. Whenever you see recipes here, they will be sans red meat. And let's face it, ground turkey is a MUCH healthier alternative to ground beef.

Check it out:


I did not figure out the points of this exact chili recipe, but according to Weight Watchers, a cup of turkey chili or low fat chili with beans is 5 points. Here is what I used:
  • 1 package of lean ground turkey
  • 1 can low fat chicken chili (OK so technically this is turkey & chicken chili)
  • 1 package prepared lentils
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can garbonzo beans
  • 1 zucchini chopped
  • 1 onion chopped (will be sauteed with olive oil)
  • seasoning to taste (seasoned salt and salt-free 21 seasoning blend)
And a picture of the exact items I used (minus the turkey, onion, and zucchini)



I got most of the items you see above at Costco. The only ones I didn't are the garbonzo beans (Trader Joe's), the 21 seasoning blend (Trader Joe's, although I've seen a similar one at Costco), and the seasoned salt (A&P, but I've seen it at many grocery stores and you can use salt & pepper instead).

The steps are quite simple. Pick a large pot. Saute the onion in a small amount of olive oil, add the ground turkey. When the turkey is mostly cooked start throwing in the rest of the ingredients. Simmer the whole thing for at least half an hour. That's about it! The leftovers taste amazing.

This recipe made a TON of turkey chili. My husband and I were eating it for about 4 days and he had larger servings than just 1 cup, but I tried to stick to 1-1.5 cups. My husband also ate it with rice, but I chose not to because I didn't want to waste points on rice (1 cup of white or brown rice is 5 points, although brown rice is clearly the healthier alternative).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment